How to Cook Perfect lamb shanks with red wine and barley
lamb shanks with red wine and barley. Red wine sauce is a classic braising liquid for lamb shanks, with the rich deep flavours a natural pairing with the strong flavour of lamb. The red wine sauce is super simple to make but after hours of slow cooking, it transforms into an incredible rich, deeply flavoured sauce that's silky and glossy. Home » Lamb Shanks With Barley In Red Wine.
Lamb Shanks with Barley. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Pour in the red wine, beef stock, and brown sugar into the frying pan and stir gently bringing it to a low boil. Pour the wine mixture over the lamb shanks; top up with water if Mix together the cornflour with just a bit of cold water and whisk the cornflour mixture into the red wine juices until desired consistency. You can have lamb shanks with red wine and barley using 15 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of lamb shanks with red wine and barley
- You need of casserole.
- You need 2 of lamb shanks.
- Prepare 1 of onion carrot stick celery.
- It’s 2 clove of garlic.
- It’s 2 tsp of olive oil.
- It’s 1 cup of red wine.
- Prepare 1 can of crushed tomatoes.
- Prepare 1 tsp of dried thyme.
- You need 1 of salt pepper.
- You need 2 cup of beef stock.
- It’s 1 cup of pearl barley.
- Prepare 2 tsp of lemon zest.
- You need 1 clove of garlic.
- It’s 2 tbsp of parsley.
- You need 2 cup of water.
In this episode of Winter Warmers Gee Charman shows you how to make delicious slow slow cooked lamb shanks in a red wine sauce with butter beans. Lamb shanks are slowly simmered with fresh rosemary, garlic, tomatoes, and red wine. Great served with polenta, or my family's favorite–roasted garlic mashed potatoes–as you need something to soak up the wonderful sauce. A fantastic dish for company, as all the prep work is done at the beginning.
lamb shanks with red wine and barley step by step
- preheat oven to 150degrees c.
- in heavy based casserole on the stovetop add olive oil and brown lamb shanks.
- remove from pan and set aside.add finely chopped onion carrot and celery.
- brown vegies for five mins then add finely chopped garlic.
- deglaze pan with red wine then add tomatoes beef stock salt and pepper and thyme.
- return shanks to pan and add barley.
- once its simmering put lid on dish and put into oven for around 3 hours or until meat is falling off the bone.
- finely chop lemon zest parsey and garlic together to sprinkle on top of finished dish.
Rub the lamb shanks with olive oil and the crushed garlic and season well with salt and Pepper. Lay these on a small tray lined with half the rosemary and bay leaves. As it starts to stick, add the red wine and deglaze the bowl. Transfer the lamb shanks to a large flameproof casserole or ovenproof pan with a lid, and add the barley, stock or water, herbs, and salt. Transfer the lamb shanks from the cooking pot to a warmed serving platter and cover with kitchen foil while you finish the braised vegetables.