Recipe: Perfect Panzanella
Panzanella. Panzanella [pantsaˈnɛlla] or panmolle [pamˈmɔlle] is a Tuscan chopped salad of soaked stale bread, onions and tomatoes that is popular in the summer. In this Barefoot Contessa video, Ina Garten's panzanella salad is a terrific way to use up stale or leftover bread. But panzanella is more than just another tomato salad with some croutons – give everything about a half hour to mingle and mix, and this bread salad goes from "pretty good" to a bona fide.
Need a side dish for a summer BBQ? Classic Panzanella Salad (Tuscan-Style Tomato-and-Bread Salad) Recipe. Traditional panzanella is made with stale, dried bread that's rehydrated from a dressing of sweet tomato juices, vinegar and plenty of olive oil. You can have Panzanella using 18 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Panzanella
- You need of ready-made garlic toast (about 3/4 in thick).
- It’s of medium red bell pepper, de-seeded and chopped.
- Prepare of English cucumber, de-seeded and chopped.
- You need of baby tomatoes (I used 2 colour romanellas).
- It’s of cherry tomatoes, halved.
- Prepare of capers.
- You need of shallot, finely chopped.
- Prepare of fresh dill, chopped.
- Prepare of fresh basil, chopped.
- You need of Zest of 1 lemon.
- It’s of Zest of 1 orange.
- Prepare of garlic, minced.
- You need of white wine vinegar.
- You need of extra virgin olive oil.
- It’s of dried oregano.
- You need of sea salt.
- You need of freshly cracked black pepper.
- You need of Parmesan cheese.
This version also includes some mozzarella for richness. Panzanella is an Italian bread salad. Traditional panzanella features cubes of stale bread, plenty of Panzanella Salad Recipe Variations. This salad is flexible, so make it to your liking!
- Put a large nonstick pan on medium heat. Your garlic toast should already come pre-buttered, so just put it in the pan for a few minutes per side to toast it up. When they're crunchy and slightly scorched, remove them to cool..
- Put the bell pepper, cucumber, tomatoes, capers, shallot, dill, basil and lemon and orange zest in a large mixing bowl..
- Whisk together the garlic, vinegar, olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper. Pour the dressing into the bowl of veg. Cut the garlic toast into bite-sized pieces and add them as well. Toss everything together, then refrigerate 30 minutes to overnight. When serving, use a veggie peeler to top the salad with slivers of parmesan cheese..
I made Panzanella this week for a segment on a future Food Network episode, and I was In a nutshell, Panzanella is tomato-bread salad. I imagine it was originally created as a way to use up old. Panzanella is an Italian salad made from pieces of stale, moistened bread, with the addition of tomatoes, onions, or basil, and a dressing of vinegar and olive oil. The salad is a specialty of Tuscany. Heat the oil in a large sauté pan.