Recipe: Appetizing Rice and gandules
Rice and gandules. Gandules (aka pigeon peas) are an exotic ingredient to most folks outside of the Caribbean. Parboiled rice is my favorite for this recipe because it's almost impossible to end up with mushy rice. My personal favorite dish is Puerto Rice and Beans, but no meal is complete without arroz con gandules.
This is Puerto Rico's national dish along with roasted pork. This dish is mainly served during Christmas season or for special occasions. The sofrito is the most important part of seasoning the rice. You can cook Rice and gandules using 9 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Rice and gandules
- Prepare 4 cubes of red homade sofrito cubes.
- Prepare 1 of rice spoon full of oil.
- It’s 3 packets of sazon.
- It’s 2 packets of jamon (pork bullion).
- Prepare Half of packet of chicken bullion.
- You need 1 can of gandules.
- Prepare 2 of empty dry veggie cans of rice.
- You need 4 of dry empty veggie cans of water.
- It’s 1 cup of diced ham (optional).
Arroz con Gandules is the meal everyone in the Caribbean enjoys for the holidays or other celebrations with family and friends. After all, rice and pigeon peas is the classic holiday meal. Add uncooked rice and water to pork mixture; stir well. Raise temperature to high, cover saucepan and bring all to a boil..
Rice and gandules instructions
- First put one rice spoon full of oil in a pot preferably a dutch oven pot..
- Throw in cubed ham pieces once oil is hot let it fry a minute slowly add the three cubes of sofrito along with all packets of bullions and sazon stir and slowly add the gandules stir and let cook about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Then add the 4 cups of water still while stirring. Next let this boil about 4 mins.
- Add two cans of rice stir the rice with your mix and stir additional 1 minute and let it boil for about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Lower your flame cover and let cook for about 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat dump pot of rice and gandules in a pan or dish with out disturbing burnt layer of bottom rice that will be left behind.
- Mix the rice and gandules and serve!.
- Put pot in sink with water and soap to remove burnt bottom rice dont scrap it out about an hour of soaking removes it all!!.
Gandules (translation: Rice with Pigeon Peas) is a popular and traditional Puerto Rican rice dish. The complete Arroz con Gandules recipe is at the bottom of this post (Jump to Recipe), but first, here. A traditional Puerto Rican dish, arroz con gandules is rice cooked with green pigeon peas. Arroz con Gandules Recipe: Puerto Rican Arroz con Gandules Rice Cooker. Learn how to make Puerto Rican arroz con gandules recipe in a rice cooker!