Recipe: Perfect Potato stew with pearl barley
Potato stew with pearl barley. Rinse the fennel, trim, pluck off the green, finely chop and set aside. Saute the vegetables until light brown in a large pan in hot butter. Lamb, Potato and Pearly Barley Stew.
Pearl barley is harvested from ears of barley. They're processed so that the hull is removed, and at this point, is known as 'hulled barley', 'dehulled barley' Pearl barley has a neutral-cereal taste. Its most distinctive feature is its texture. You can cook Potato stew with pearl barley using 8 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Potato stew with pearl barley
- It’s 500 g of potato.
- It’s 1 of white onion.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of paprika powder.
- Prepare 1 tsp of smoked paprika.
- It’s of Chilli flakes (optional).
- Prepare 80 g of pearl barley.
- You need 2 tbsp of oil.
- Prepare of Salt and pepper.
The grains also thicken soups and stews, imparting a creaminess. Heat olive oil in deep casserole dish. Add eggplant, carrots , beans and cauliflower. Add stock (which should cover to the top of the vegetables).
Potato stew with pearl barley instructions
- Fry the onion with a little bit of oil..
- Take it of from the heat and add paprika powder and smoked paprika. Take it off from heat otherwise paprika can burn and become bitter..
- Add potato, barley and enough water to cover it. Season it with salt and pepper. Cook it on medium heat..
- Cook it until potato and barley are ready and soft. Serve it with salad or gherkins. Enjoy!.
For a hearty family dinner try this pearl barley & sausage stew – it's perfect for sharing on chilly nights. Pearl barley is a grain that's often overlooked, but in this meatball stew it gives texture and bulks out the quantities to bring down costs. If you are making this stew in advance add a little more stock or water when you reheat it, as the pearl barley will have soaked up some of the sauce. Pearl barley is softer and releases starch into its cooking liquid, making it a good thickener for soups. (If you don't want pearl barley to thicken your dish, cook it separately and rinse it before adding.) For this same reason, it can also be made risotto-style, resulting in a creamy, chewy dish. The addition of pearl barley makes this stew really filling without being too heavy, like it might be if you added some sort of rice instead.