How to Cook Delicious Arroz con Gandules / Rice and Pigeon Peas
Arroz con Gandules / Rice and Pigeon Peas. Arroz con gandules freezes very well, so make a big batch and portion it into storage bags for a quick weeknight side dish. To reheat, transfer into a microwave safe bowl Stir the rice to get it submerged and distribute the pigeon peas throughout. Cover and allow the rice to absorb all the visible liquid.
Arroz con Gandules is the meal everyone in the Caribbean enjoys for the holidays or other celebrations with family and friends. After all, rice and pigeon peas is the classic holiday meal. This Arroz con Gandules recipe only needs a few essential GOYA® pantry staples, so your family can. You can have Arroz con Gandules / Rice and Pigeon Peas using 17 ingredients and 2 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Arroz con Gandules / Rice and Pigeon Peas
- Prepare 4 cup of water.
- You need 1 medium of yellow onion diced.
- It’s 1/2 jar of of olives with pimentos & juice.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of recaito.
- It’s 2 envelope of sazon achiote.
- It’s 1 tsp of fresh cilantro.
- It’s 2 cup of long grain rice.
- You need 15 oz of can Gandules.
- You need 4 clove of garlic minced.
- It’s 1/2 cup of sofrito.
- Prepare 4 tbsp of canola oil.
- You need 1 tbsp of dry oregeno.
- You need 1 tsp of adobo.
- You need 1 of salt.
- Prepare 1 of black pepper.
- You need 2 tbsp of tomato paste.
- You need 1/2 oz of pork, bacon, or ham chopped up.
Arroz con gandules is a combination of rice, pigeon peas, and pork, cooked in the same pot with sofrito. This is Puerto Rico's national dish along with roasted pork. This dish is mainly served during Christmas season or for special occasions. The sofrito is the most important part of seasoning the rice.
Arroz con Gandules / Rice and Pigeon Peas instructions
- in a large 6 qt heavy pot add oil, cook pork,ham or bacon till brown.
- add onions cook till tender, then add sofrito, recaito, tomato paste, rinsed rice, garlic, cilantro, olives & juice, sazon, salt, pepper, adobo, and rinsed pigeon peas, mix well then add 4 cups of water bring to a rolling boil, then reduce to medium low heat cover for about 20 mins or till rice is tender..
The complete Arroz con Gandules recipe is at the bottom of this post (Jump to Recipe), but first, here are some step-by-step pictures and tips to help you with the Gandules (affiliate link) are green pigeon peas, and are a key ingredient in this recipe. Their flavor is much milder than an English pea. Pernil without arroz con gandules is like turkey without stuffing—the arroz completes any holiday meal in the Greater Antilles (especially Puerto Rico, Cuba Scatter pigeon peas over. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover saucepan and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.