Recipe: Tasty Sweet Potato African Stew
Sweet Potato African Stew. I came across an African sweet potato stew recipe a few years ago, and adapted it to suit our taste. It is very flavorful and just a bit spicy – just right for cold days! This African stew is an easy one pot meal with sweet potato and greens.
Believe me, I know the combination of ingredients sounds absolutely crazy! This African soup is loaded with Be careful not to overcook the sweet potatoes. You'll want those a bit chunky for a better texture in the finished product. You can have Sweet Potato African Stew using 14 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Sweet Potato African Stew
- Prepare 3 of large sweet potatoes.
- You need 3 of mixed peppers.
- Prepare 1 of large white onion.
- It’s 1 (3 inch) of piece of fresh ginger.
- You need 3 of hot chillis.
- Prepare 1 litre of vegetable stock.
- It’s 600 g of smooth peanut butter.
- You need 3 cloves of garlic.
- You need 1 tin of chopped tomatoes.
- It’s 1 tsp of cayenne pepper.
- Prepare 4 tsp of cumin powder.
- You need 1 bunch of fresh coriander.
- It’s 150 g of cashew nuts.
- Prepare 2 of vegetable stock cubes.
A hearty, delicious African stew with peanuts, coconut milk, sweet potatoes and lightly spicy, earthy flavor. Perfect for a cold winter's night. Prepare in advance your sweet potatoes by peeling them and chopping them into chunks. Dice your carrots, celery and onion.
Sweet Potato African Stew step by step
- Chop the onion and finely chop the garlic, ginger and chilli. Add to a pan (preferably using a nut oil) on a medium heat.
- Chop the peppers into thumb sized pieces and, once the onions have softened, add to the pan.
- Boil a kettle full of water and create a litre of vegetable stock. Add the stock to a large saucepan and, at a low heat, spoon the peanut butter into the stock until there are no large lumps.
- When the peppers have softened, add the contents of the pan to the peanut butter and stock mix.
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into approximately 1.5 inch cubes. Add to the saucepan along with the tomatoes, cayenne pepper and cumin.
- Cook at a medium to low temperature, with a lid, until the sweet potatoes have softened (around 45 minutes). Stir regularly to avoid the peanut butter sticking and burning to the side of the pan.
- Toast the cashew nuts under the grill for no more than 1 minute, roughly chop the coriander and if you're feeling spicy chop a medium heat chilli, when you're ready to serve sprinkle these on top of your stew.
- Best served with rice or naan bread.
Add sweet potatoes, drained tomatoes, drained chickpeas, and peanut butter and mix well. In this African peanut and chicken stew recipe, nutrient-rich sweet potatoes and no-salt-added tomatoes keep this creamy stew healthy. To complete the bowl, the flavorful chicken stew is served over whole-wheat couscous seasoned with lime juice and chopped fresh cilantro. Mafe, or groundnut stew, is common throughout West and Central Africa. This traditional stew can include meat, vegetables, or seafood, and it is always based on a savory sauce made from peanut butter and The sweet potato, a much-loved African heritage food, is a featured ingredient.