Recipe: Yummy SPLIT PEA SOUP, VEGETARIAN OR VEGAN
SPLIT PEA SOUP, VEGETARIAN OR VEGAN. Split peas and barley are cooked with garlic, onion, celery, carrots and potatoes in this meatless soup which is seasoned with basil and thyme. This makes a very thick vegetarian split pea soup. To make it thinner, reduce the amount of split peas or add more water.
Let's start the new year with a big bowl of warm and comforting. Many of you were enthusiastic about the lentil soup recipe I posted a few weeks back. I like to finish each bowl with a generous drizzle of golden olive oil, a few flecks of lemon zest, and a dusting of smoked paprika to give the soup some. You can have SPLIT PEA SOUP, VEGETARIAN OR VEGAN using 8 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of SPLIT PEA SOUP, VEGETARIAN OR VEGAN
- It’s of split peas.
- Prepare of large carrots.
- It’s of celery.
- Prepare of medium-large leek with dark green top removed and discarded.
- Prepare of large (not gigantic) onion.
- Prepare of olive oil Or unsalted butter.
- Prepare of salt.
- You need of water.
Ultra creamy vegan split pea soup. This richly flavored soup is hearty and satisfying and makes a delicious plant-based appetizer or main. Our vegan tomato soup and vegan tomato basil soup are both tomato soups but are totally different, try both if you're a fan of tomatoes! This vegetarian split pea soup is made with a touch of liquid smoke in place of the traditional ham.
SPLIT PEA SOUP, VEGETARIAN OR VEGAN step by step
- Small chop or large dice all vegetables..
- In Dutch oven (large pot) heat olive oil or unsalted butter to medium-low.
- Sautee veggies slowly about 12 minutes until cooked down slightly, stirring occasionally..
- Add split peas, water and salt. Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer, cook 75 minutes. Taste and add more salt if needed..
It's a filling, easy plant based meal! Serve this vegan and vegetarian split pea soup with some crusty bread, biscuits (or vegan biscuits), or a simple side salad for a full meal. Try our recipe for split pea soup from the Moosewood Cookbook and enjoy a healthy, tasty dish from Food.com. This recipe comes from the Moosewood Cookbook. It's my favourite vegetarian pea soup.