Recipe: Perfect Mexican Coffee Buns (Rotiboy)
Mexican Coffee Buns (Rotiboy). Also a copycat of Pappa Roti. These are delicious and so different- Not really Mexican, they are from Malaysia. It is like a thin coffee butter cookie spread over the bun.
It is made popular by this Malaysian bakery called Rotiboy and now this bun is commonly known as "Rotiboy" in Malaysia and throughout Asia. This coffee bun is also a very popular snack in Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand, and even Korea. Mexican coffee bun is best eaten when it's just off the. You can cook Mexican Coffee Buns (Rotiboy) using 19 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Mexican Coffee Buns (Rotiboy)
- Prepare of A. Tangzhong method(*).
- Prepare 25 g of bread flour.
- Prepare 25 g of boiling water.
- Prepare of B. 250g bread flour.
- You need of Above tangzhong.
- You need 5 g of instant yeast.
- It’s 50 g of sugar.
- It’s 2 g of salt.
- You need 15 g of unsalted butter(soft).
- You need 1 of egg (50g).
- Prepare 80 g of water.
- It’s C. of Filling.
- You need 120 g of cold unsalted butter(divided in to 8 pcs : 15g*8).
- You need of D. Topping.
- You need 80 g of bread flour, sifted.
- It’s 80 g of melted butter(unsalted butter).
- You need 40 g of icing sugar.
- Prepare 1 of egg (50g).
- You need 30 g of instant coffee mixed with 30g hot water.
G. these buns are SO delicious you've got to try them! Mexican coffee bun is a sweet bun that filled with butter and covered with crusty coffee on top. Many people might think that this bun is originally from Mexico because of its name. Ready mexican coffee buns Mexican Coffee Buns or Pappa Roti or Rotiboy is a soft bun, with butter filling and sweet coffee crust topping, famous in Malaysia & Singapore.
Mexican Coffee Buns (Rotiboy) instructions
- A. Tangzhong method: Mix flour with boiling water. Cool, cover and chill at least 4h until 24h in the fridge. (*).
- Let the tangzhong dough (*) at room temperature about 30’ to 60’ (depends on weather). Place all (B)ingredients in bowl of standing mixer except butter and knead until it comes together, then add butter, knead until elastic. Cover and let it rise double in size..
- Divided into 8 equal portions. Rest 10 minutes. Put cold butter in the middle of the buns. Cover and let them double in size..
- Make topping: Mix well coffee with melted butter, icing sugar and eggs. Add flour and mix until smooth. Cover and chill in the fridge for later use..
- Preheat the oven at 190oC..
- Once the buns are risen until doubled in size, pipe a spiral onto the buns, covering them as close to the outside edge as possible..
- Bake 15-18 mins until the bottoms are browned and the top has darkened slightly..
- Now it’s done!.
- Love it! ❤️❤️❤️.
- Fresh day!.
- Note: if you have a sourdough starter, using 100g active starter and no need to use commercial yeast. It takes 4h (28oC) to let it double in size. Other steps will be the same. Or you can use 50g unfed starter (discard) and need 5g of instant dry yeast..
It was when the Rotiboy bun hit Kuala Lumpur with a storm and "seduced the masses". Recently I have been craving for Malaysian food and thought of the Rotiboy bun (recipe based on Mexican bun). Mexican buns aka coffee cookie buns aka rotiboy buns. Mexican buns aka coffee cookie buns aka rotiboy buns. The Chinese like soft and fluffy white breads.