Easiest Way to Make Yummy Boiled Cabbage
Boiled Cabbage. Boiled cabbage is an excellent way to take advantage of the vegetable's nutrients. Cabbage is packed with vitamins C and K, and a good source of potassium, magnesium, and phytonutrients. This is just a basic boiled cabbage.
This Boiled Cabbage recipe is super simple and highly nutritious. Cabbage is a cruciferous vegetable in the same family as broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, kale, collard greens, Swiss chard and. Whatever variety of cabbage you prefer, you can be sure it contains a lot of vitamins and nutrients Cabbage is a healthy, leafy vegetable that can be eaten on its own or combined with other foods. You can have Boiled Cabbage using 4 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Boiled Cabbage
- It’s 1 head of cabbage.
- It’s 1/2 block of sliced salt pork.
- Prepare to taste of Garlic Salt.
- You need to taste of Cajun seasoning.
Boiled Cabbage recipe: When I boiled our cabbage for New Year's, I added a little of the fat from our ham to the water I boiled the cabbage in and it was a huge hit with my husband. If you aren't used to eating greens and cabbage, and you try to make them at home, your first time may lead to disappointing results. Boiled Cabbage with Bacon. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Preparation Remove all the tough outer leaves from the cabbage.
Boiled Cabbage instructions
- Shred your cabbage first, cutting the larger leaves into small, bite size pieces. Place into a colander and wash thoroughly..
- Once washed, transfer cabbage into a large pot. It must be big enough to put the cabbages in and still have room to fill with water to about 3/4 full, just over the cabbage itself. Set aside momentarily..
- In an iron skillet, fry your salt pork to the point of browning. Once completed, pour the salt pork, and grease it created, into the pot with your cabbage. Pour slowly! You're mixing water and hot grease!.
- Add about 3 tbsp of Cajun seasoning and 3 tbsp of garlic salt. Believe me, this is not enough, and you will need to add more as the cabbage cooks and you taste it..
- Put your pot on the burner and set to medium high. I usually put a lid on but leave it cracked so it doesn't boil over. Open a window. Otherwise your whole house will smell like cabbage when you're done. Stir about every 15 minutes and monitor your water level just in case it drops drastically (it shouldn't)..
- After about 2 to 2.5 hours on the stove, your cabbage should have a slightly wilted texture, but not be overly mushy. At this point it's done. Remove from heat..
- Serve with the rest of the southern food you're eating that day!.
Cut the cabbage into four, remove the stalk and then cut each quarter into fine shreds, working across the grain. The boiled cabbage process is complete; take the contents out of the pot onto a plate and garnish with coriander. Boiling cabbage is the simplest method of cooking this vegetable. Before you start boiling the cabbage, you need to choose a cabbage variety of your choice. Before I share the boiled cabbage recipe let me set the record straight.