Recipe: Perfect Sour cream and raisin meringue pie
Sour cream and raisin meringue pie. The custard is rich and creamy but not overly sweet and the delicate brown sugar meringue looks beautiful. My husbands favorite pie is Sour Cream and Raisin and he loved it. I had never had this kind of pie and thought it sounded nasty but I really did like it.
Heap meringue onto hot pie filling; spread and carefully seal meringue to edge of crust to prevent shrinking or weeping. Stir in egg yolks, raisins and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. You can have Sour cream and raisin meringue pie using 16 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Sour cream and raisin meringue pie
- Prepare of Pie crust.
- Prepare 1 of each prepared frozen pie crust according to package directions.
- It’s of Filling.
- It’s 4 of large eggs.
- Prepare 2/3 cup of Sugar.
- Prepare 1/3 cup of Cornstarch.
- It’s 2 1/2 cup of Milk.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Butter.
- You need 1 1/2 tsp of Vanilla extract.
- You need 1/2 cup of sour cream.
- It’s 1 cup of raisins.
- It’s of Meringue.
- You need 4 of each Egg whites.
- Prepare 1 tsp of vanilla extract.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of cream of tartar.
- You need 1/2 cup of granulated sugar.
Immediately pour into baked pie shell. Heap meringue onto hot pie filling; spread over filling, carefully sealing meringue to edge of. Before spooning onto pie, meringue can be tested after beating by rubbing between your fingers to make sure sugar is dissolved and not gritty. Sour Cream-Raisin Pie. by: Hannah Petertil.
Sour cream and raisin meringue pie instructions
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Separate egg yolks from whites; set whites aside for meringue..
- In a medium saucepan combine sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in milk cooking over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly; reduce heat. Cook and stir 2 minutes more..
- Remove from heat. Slightly beat egg yolks and gradually stir about 1 cup of hot filling into yolks. Add egg yolk mixture to remaining filling in saucepan. Return to heat, bring to gentle boil; reduce heat. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat, stir in butter, vanilla, sour cream and raisins. Keep filling warm, prepare meringue..
- Allow egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In large mixing bowl combine egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form. Slowly add sugar on high speed until stiff peaks form. (About 4 minutes)..
- Immediately spread meringue over hot pie filling, making sure to seal the pastry edge to prevent shrinking..
- Bake for 30 minutes in 325°F preheated oven. Remove and cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Chill for 3 – 6 hours before serving..
My family put their own twist on this pie (the biggest being the removal of the meringue topping) and a new tradition was born. The pie crust is a recipe that I keep in the notes on my phone called 'Pie Crust Cheat Sheet' because you never know. Spoon meringue over filling; spread to edge of crust. As classic as they come, a well-made sour cream-raisin pie is the perfect combination of slightly tart, slightly crunchy. Though many Southerners have a family recipe for this custard pie stashed away, a pinch of this and a handful of that can easily be lost in translation from one generation to the next.