How to Prepare Tasty Butterless Lime Curd Mini Pies
Butterless Lime Curd Mini Pies. This Eggless Butterless Lemon Curd is a popular fruit based spread, used as a topping or served as a side for bread and scones. The most popular one is the lemon curd which is widely employed in pies and tarts. It's also a great replacement for jam and preserves.
I have done it with lime, orange, and grapefrut as well. Spread on top of Passover sponge cake or eaten with a spoon, it is sooo good! And look what turned up in my kitchen. You can cook Butterless Lime Curd Mini Pies using 11 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Butterless Lime Curd Mini Pies
- You need 6-8 of ready-bake mini pie shells (depends how full you want them).
- Prepare 1/2 cup of lime juice (fresh is best, but bottled is fine).
- Prepare of zest of 2 limes.
- Prepare 3 of large egg yolks.
- You need 2 of large whole eggs.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of granulated white sugar.
- It’s 1 pinch of salt.
- Prepare of ~ Optional fresh whipped cream.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream.
- Prepare 2 tbs of powdered sugar.
- It’s dash of vanilla.
Why not call it "amazing tart and sweet velvet goodness on the tongue"? The easiest lime curd gets made ahead of time so you don't have to worry about getting the timing just right for these sweet-tart pies. The easiest lime curd gets made ahead of time so you don't have to worry about getting the timing just right for these sweet-tart pies. You can use homemade or store-bought lemon curd.
Butterless Lime Curd Mini Pies instructions
- Pre-bake pie shells according to package directions. While they are baking begin your lime curd..
- Use a zester or grater to zest 2 limes, careful not to get any of the white pith. Juice enough limes to get 1/2 cup of juice (about 4-6 depending on size)..
- In a small bowl beat together whole eggs and egg yolks. In a medium saucepan off heat stir together lime juice, lime zest, sugar, beaten eggs, and salt until smooth..
- Turn on heat to medium low and cook mixture, stirring constantly until thickened, about 10 minutes. Do not allow to come to a simmer and do not allow to sit or you chance scrambling the eggs..
- Curd is thick enough when it coats the spoon and a swipe of your finger leaves a stripe, as pictured. Turn off heat, cover and let cool 20 minutes..
- Stir lime curd and spoon into prepared crusts, spreading out to fill evenly. Refrigerate uncovered (this forms a nice skin on top) at least 2-4 hours. Serve chilled..
- Add whipped cream if desired: In a chilled bowl of a stand mixer equipped with a wisk attachment add cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Wisk on medium speed until stiff peaks form, careful not to over whip so you don't make butter. ;).
Visit the Afternoon Tea homepage here. Mini lemon hand pies are buttery and flaky pie dough, shaped into single-sized portions and filled with homemade lemon curd! How To Make Lemon Hand Pies. This recipe starts by making homemade lemon curd. Lemon curd (made with eggs, sugar, and lemon juice) is so easy and has so many uses.