Recipe: Delicious Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken Pot Pie. A delicious chicken pot pie made from scratch with carrots, peas, and celery for a comfort food classic. Reviews for: Photos of Chicken Pot Pie IX. This classic Chicken Pot Pie is filled with tender pieces of chicken, carrot, celery, potato, and Sometimes people think of chicken pot pie as boring freezer food, but when it's done right, made.
To begin, dust a clean, dry work surface with flour and place the puff pastry over top. This from-scratch Chicken Pot Pie is adapted from Marshall Field's classic recipe. With a slow-cooked chicken, a creamy vegetable filling, and a handmade pie crust, this pot pie is the ultimate comfort food. You can cook Chicken Pot Pie using 16 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Chicken Pot Pie
- Prepare 1 of pie crust (store bought or homemade).
- Prepare 4 tbsp. of unsalted butter.
- It’s 1/2 of small onion, diced.
- It’s 2 cloves of garlic, minced.
- You need 1/4 cup of all purpose flour.
- You need 1 1/2 cups of unsalted chicken broth.
- You need 1/2 cup of heavy cream (whole milk or half and half work also).
- Prepare 1/2 tsp. of each dried thyme, salt.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp. of each pepper, poultry seasoning.
- You need 1 tbsp. of freshly chopped parsley.
- You need 2 cups of cooked, shredded chicken.
- Prepare 1 cup of peeled and diced carrots.
- It’s 1 cup of peas (we use small broccoli florets instead).
- It’s 1 of small potato, peeled and diced.
- It’s 1/4 cup of shredded cheese of choice (optional).
- It’s 1 of large egg, beaten.
This chicken pot pie recipe is loaded with flavor. It's got flaky pie crust and a buttery creamy I initially wanted to make an easy chicken pot pie. So, I started out using refrigerated pie dough, all. This Chicken Pot Pie recipe is made by poaching uncooked chicken in stock and milk which is then used as the broth for the creamy filling.
Chicken Pot Pie step by step
- Start by cooking your veggies… the carrots, peas (or broccoli in our case) and potatoes. We just combine everything in a large pot of water and boil until everything is just tender, about 4-6 minutes. Then set them aside..
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat. Once melted, add the onion and cook until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook a minute or so more, until fragrant..
- Increase the heat to med-high and sprinkle the flour over the onion. Stir to incorporate and cook while stirring for a minute or two. Then, whisking continually, slowly add in the chicken broth and the cream. Stir in all the seasoning and whatever else you'd like and let it come to a low boil..
- Once it reaches a boil, reduce the heat down to med-low and allow to simmer until it has thickened, about 7-10 minutes. Taste to make sure it doesn't need any additional seasoning, then remove it from the heat. Stir in the cheese (if using) until it's melted and incorporated in. Then stir in the chicken and veggies..
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lay the first pie dough disc into the bottom of a 9" pie dish. Pour the filling over the top. Lay the second dough disc over the top and trim any overhanging dough from around the edges. Use a fork or your fingers to crimp the edges and seal it..
- Use a small, sharp knife to cut a few slits across the top, so the steam can vent. Use a pastry brush to brush the beaten egg all over the top crust. Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Use a pie shield if you'd like to prevent the edges of the crust from browning too much too quickly. I put it on before putting the pie in the oven and take it off with about 10 or so minutes left of bake time..
- Allow it to cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Refrigerate any leftovers..
Or speed things up by using cooked chicken! Pie for dinner just sounds like us. Replacing one amazing carb with another. This homemade chicken pot pie recipe streamlines your work by using frozen peas and carrots and Pillsbury™ refrigerated pie crusts. Swap out chicken for turkey or try a different frozen veggie combo.