Recipe: Perfect Potato Soup (made with ham and cheese)
Potato Soup (made with ham and cheese). By cooking the ham and potatoes together you will get a heartier tasting potato great idea. The best potato soup I have EVER had! I did however only use one onion and half the amount of cheese but it turned out PERFECT!
Potatoes: I highly recommend making this soup with buttery Yukon gold potatoes. But russets or red potatoes would also do. Cheese: I recommend a good sharp cheddar cheese here for maximum flavor. You can have Potato Soup (made with ham and cheese) using 13 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Potato Soup (made with ham and cheese)
- You need 16 of small red potatoes, or 8 medium russet, or whatever potatoes enough to equal that.
- Prepare 1 lb. of box Velveeta Cheese or store brand, whatever flavor you like.
- You need 1-2 of onions any kind, depending on how much you like onions. (Obviously use more than 2 if you like pearl onions, just get at least a lb.).
- You need 1 (16 oz.) of container of sour cream, or more depending on if you like it creamy.
- It’s 1/2 cup (1 stick) of unsalted margarine or butter.
- You need 1 cup of instant mashed potatoes (Idahoan brand is my favorite).
- It’s 8 cups of low sodium chicken or vegetable broth (or make it with 8 cups water and 8 bouillon cubes) plus ~4 cups extra water (enough to cover).
- It’s 1 lb. of fresh sliced carrots.
- You need 1 cup of sliced celery.
- Prepare 1 lb. of cooked cubed ham (approximately).
- Prepare 1 Tbsp. of Italian seasoning.
- Prepare of Salt and pepper to taste (optional).
- It’s of Crackers and bacon bits (optional).
Greek yogurt or sour cream: To make the soup extra-creamy. P DO NOT thicken this soup too much. Keep potato dices larger to keep intact. Always finely grate your cheese to ensure melding in sauce.
Potato Soup (made with ham and cheese) instructions
- Wash and cube potatoes (1 inch thickness and add them with seasoning, carrots and ham to a covered ~12 qt. pot to boil over medium to medium-high heat in the broth until tender. (I like to cheat here and microwave the potatoes before I cut them up to help them along). Make sure you add just enough extra water to cover ingredients (~4 more cups). Stir occasionally..
- Sauté over medium heat, onions and celery in margarine or butter just until tender and add the to the pot..
- After potatoes are really fork tender (may need to taste one), melt the cheese in the microwave or a sauce pan following package directions. (I cube it and microwave 1 min. stir, 1 min. stir and 1 min. more and stir in a splash of milk to loosen it up if necessary). Add to pot and stir..
- Add instant potatoes to pot and stir until dissolved..
- Add sour cream to pot and stir..
- Add salt and pepper to taste and let the soup thicken by simmering over low heat, probably ~10 mins depending on the amount of extra water added..
- Sit back and relax, you’re done, enjoy with/without real bacon bits and/or crackers (I like Ritz)..
This hearty Ham and Potato Soup is made with a ham shank or leftover ham bone and russet potatoes. If you want to make the soup entirely with the broth that comes from a leftover ham bone, you can easily do that. Just cover the ham bone with water and pot, bring. In a large stock pot combine potatoes, onion, carrots, peas, ham and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium, and let cook until potatoes are soft (about.