Recipe: Yummy Vietnamese summer rolls
Vietnamese summer rolls. Lovely Food Tubers, welcome Uyen Luu to the channel. She's got an amazing Vietnamese recipe just for you. Incredibly fresh summer rolls with juicy prawns.
If you have ever considered making a Vietnamese summer roll, you may have been intimidated by the process. But these delicious rolls are not at all difficult. I learned my summer roll technique from a. You can cook Vietnamese summer rolls using 16 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Vietnamese summer rolls
- Prepare of For the summer rolls:.
- You need 2 cups of boiled kettle water (cooking the rice vermicelli).
- It’s 150 g of peeled & pre-cooked prawns, halved (1 box, use more or less depending on preference).
- It’s 145 g of rice vermicelli (use more or less depending on preference).
- It’s 10-12 of round rice paper wrappers.
- You need 20 of fresh mint leaves.
- Prepare 1/2 of of a large red pepper, julienned (any colour depending on preference).
- It’s 8 leaves of baby gem lettuce, thinly sliced across.
- Prepare 2 of ripe avocados, thinly sliced lengthways.
- It’s of For the dipping sauce:.
- You need 2 of gloves garlic, finely minced.
- Prepare 1 teaspoons of fish sauce (nam pla, add more or less).
- Prepare 1/4 cup of water, room temperature.
- It’s of Juice 1 lime (add more or less).
- You need 3 tablespoons of palm sugar or white sugar (add more or less depending on preference).
- Prepare 3 of red or green chillis, thinly sliced across.
Gỏi cuốn, Vietnamese spring roll, fresh spring roll, spring roll, or rice paper roll, is a Vietnamese dish traditionally consisting of pork, prawn, vegetables, bún (rice vermicelli). These Vietnamese summer rolls are perfect for warm weather gatherings, featuring juicy seared These simple Vietnamese summer rolls with shrimp are a refreshing and tasty appetizer or light meal. This recipe for Vietnamese-style summer rolls with peanut sauce contains shrimp, noodles, and These light and healthy Vietnamese-influenced summer rolls are filled with cooked shrimp, rice. Vietnamese summer rolls are commonly served with a creamy and savory peanut dipping sauce or nuoc mam cham (fish sauce dipping sauce).
Vietnamese summer rolls step by step
- To save time, pour the boiled kettle water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Place the rice vermicelli in the boiling water for 2 minutes. Stir occasionally with chopsticks or a fork to separate the strands. Turn the heat off, let stand for another 2 minutes until just tender. Drain the vermicelli in a sieve and run under cold water to bring down the temperature. Once cool, drain the excess water and transfer the vermicelli onto a large plate, separate into small batches and set aside..
- Cut the red pepper in half, de-seed the half being used and julienne. Transfer to a bowl. Cut the baby gem lettuce leaves in half, then thinly chop into smaller pieces (approx. 1 inch long) and transfer to a plate. Cut the avocado in half lengthwise around the seed. Open the avocado and remove the pit. Scoop out the avocado flesh, cut lengthways into thin slices and transfer onto a plate..
- Rinse the pre-cooked prawns under warm water, drain to remove excess water and slice them in half. Transfer onto a plate. Separate twenty mint leaves from the stalk and transfer to the same plate with the lettuce..
- For the rolling, I use a rice paper roll maker set, which comes with a rice water bowl and rice paper tray. However, you can use a pancake pan or flat skillet instead and fill with warm pre-boiled water. If using rice paper water bowl like myself, dip one rice paper into the warm water, rotate once and place wet rice paper on the tray. Alternatively, if using a pan place and rotate rice paper for 5 – 7 seconds to slightly soften, then lay rice paper flat on a large plate or chopping board..
- For the next step, I developed a three-layer technique which will make this process easier. In a row across the lower centre, add a small amount of rice vermicelli and a few lettuce and mint leaves on top. Then place a few sticks of peppers, avocado above that, and then place 4 shrimp halves above that. Leave about 1 inch uncovered on each side. Do not overstuff the roll..
- Roll everything up tightly by gently pulling up from the bottom of the roll and start to roll over each layer of the filling. As you roll, use your hands to tuck the filling rolling tightly. Once you have folded over the prawn layer, tuck the uncovered sides inward and continue to tightly roll the wrapper till the end. Place the finished roll on a large plate..
- Repeat the process until all ingredients have been used. When placing the summer rolls on the plate, do not overlap the rolls to prevent them sticking to one another..
- For the sauce, finely mince the garlic and thinly slice the chillis. In a pestle and mortar add the garlic, fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, chillis and water. Mix together thoroughly and taste (if the sauce is too sweet add more fish sauce. Or if too salty, add more palm sugar) and transfer to a small bowl. This is the dipping sauce for the summer rolls..
- Serve and eat immediately with the chilli dipping sauce..
Garnish the roll with sesame seeds and serve with a dipping sauce of your choice. Summer rolls – better than spring rolls or just a poor relation? What do you put in yours? And your advice please: what other Vietnamese delicacies should I be looking out for when I go in September? Summer rolls are wrapped in softened rice paper.