Recipe: Perfect Salade Niçoise
Salade Niçoise. Originally a way to use up leftovers–but it's worth cooking potatoes, beans, and hard-boiled eggs for this fresh-tasting French salad! Tuna, olives, capers, tomatoes, and a bed of baby greens round out this hearty main dish salad. Put the potatoes in a medium saucepan; cover with cold water and season with salt.
We know the salad was designed to celebrate the fresh produce available at the markets. Salade niçoise (French pronunciation: ), la salada nissarda in the Niçard dialect of the Occitan language, is a salad that originated in the French city of Nice. It is traditionally made of tomatoes, hard-boiled eggs, Niçoise olives and anchovies or tuna, dressed with olive oil. You can cook Salade Niçoise using 19 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Salade Niçoise
- It’s of Salad:.
- It’s 2 tins of tuna, in oil or spring water.
- Prepare 12 of small new potatoes, cooked with skin on and quartered lengthways.
- You need 4 of vine tomatoes, chopped.
- It’s 120 g of French beans, topped and cooked al dente.
- You need 1 of Romaine lettuce.
- Prepare 2 of red peppers, roasted and seeded.
- Prepare 1/2 of cucumber, sliced into half circles.
- Prepare 1/2 of red onion finely sliced into half rings.
- You need 2 of free range/organic eggs, boiled and quartered lengthways.
- It’s 8 of anchovy fillets, cut in half lengthways.
- It’s 20 of black olives, pitted.
- Prepare of French dressing/vinaigrette:.
- It’s 120 ml of olive oil.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard.
- You need 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar.
- Prepare 1 of shallot, finely minced.
- It’s 1 of small garlic clove, finely minced.
- You need of Sea salt.
Not just any salad of course, but the traditional Salade Niçoise. In recent weeks, acclaimed French chef Cyril Lignac (who has several TV shows in France) set off an internet furor by including green beans and potatoes in his version of the salad. Alright, I suppose it is not the end of the world if you want to make the salad a bit. Salade Niçoise. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines..
Salade Niçoise step by step
- Dressing: whisk together all the ingredients and season to taste.
- Salad: Using your hands, tear up the washed and dried romaine lettuce leaves and lay over 4 dishes/dinner plates.
- Arrange the tuna, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, green beans, potatoes, boiled egg quarters, olives and anchovy strips, equally over the 4 plates.
- Drizzle over the French dressing and finish with freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
In a world where adding a dash of capers to a dish can rock the very foundations of culinary identity, the niçoise has since evolved into a flexible format. Nicoise Salad or Salade Niçoise (pronounced [niˈswaz]) originated in the French city of Nice and can be served as a composed salad (each ingredient clustered into its own area of the bowl, plate, or platter) or tossed as you would other salads. Salad Niçoise (pronounced nee-suahz) is essentially a French composed salad, much like our American Cobb salad, but with tuna, green beans, and potatoes, instead of chicken, bacon, and avocado. Salad Niçoise hails from Nice, on the Mediterranean Sea, though like so many foods we enjoy here of French origin, has changed a bit to adapt to our tastes. To make the dressing or marinade whisk together the red wine vinegar, olive oil, parsley, chives, garlic, salt and pepper.