Recipe: Yummy Healthy-ish American Shepherd's Pie
Healthy-ish American Shepherd's Pie. This Healthy Shepherd's Pie calls for olive oil instead of butter, extra-lean ground beef, lots of vegetables, and a cauliflower-potato mash topping for a lighter take on the This means fewer carbs and calories (for those of you tracking), but more importantly, the added health benefits of cauliflower. Shepherd's pie and cottage pie are dishes of minced meat topped with mashed potato. How to make healthier shepherd's pie.
I've tried many a shepherd's pie recipe and this one is my absolute favorite because it's packed with flavor and way lower in fat and calories than the norm. This shepherd's pie is dairy, grain, legume, and sugar free, but most importantly it just might be the tastiest thing you've made for dinner in a long time. This healthy shepherd's pie is perfect if your kids are fussy eaters. You can have Healthy-ish American Shepherd's Pie using 13 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Healthy-ish American Shepherd's Pie
- Prepare 2 head of of Cauliflower.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Milk.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of Butter.
- You need 2 lb of Ground Turkey or Chicken.
- Prepare 1 of Onion.
- You need 25 of small Carrots, or so.
- It’s of Garlic (Powder or Fresh).
- It’s 2 tbsp of Olive Oil.
- It’s 1/2 cup of Worcestershire Sauce.
- Prepare 1/2 can of Beef or Chicken Broth.
- You need 1 cup of Shredded Cheese (I tried Mozz this time.).
- You need of Salt and Pepper.
- It’s 2 tablespoons of flour.
It's not exactly cheating by hiding their five-a-day inside. And even if it is, no jury will convict you! Plus this pie is freezer friendly so perfect for making in advance. Shepherd's Pie – Another healthy take on one of my favorite classics.
Healthy-ish American Shepherd's Pie instructions
- Start the cauliflower mash. Boil a pot of water then add cauliflower. Let cook approx 10-15 minutes, or until soft..
- Start Meat. Sauté with oil: onion and carrots, then garlic. Add meat, and lightly brown. Add flour, then Worcestershire sauce and broth. Add salt and pepper as needed..
- You can add green beans and corn to meat pan..
- Drain cauliflower, add milk, butter and salt and pepper as needed. Blend in blender until reaches mashed potato -like consistency..
- Grease 2-3 qt casserole dish. Add layer of meat, then layer of cheese, then cauliflower mash on top. Make sure cauliflower mash covers to the sides so meat does not boil out and cause a mess. Add a dash of paprika on top..
- Bake at 400°F for 25-30 minutes. Let cool for 10 mins..
Let's face it: Shepherd's Pie, as I learned to make it, using regular ground beef, frozen corn kernels and mashed white potatoes made super creamy thanks (or not!) to the addition of tons of butter, cream and salt, did not constitute. There are a zillion Healthy Shepherd's Pie recipe's out there but here's what set's this one apart. On Love & Zest, you'll find healthy-ish recipes that fuel the whole family. I'm all about veggie-filled breakfast, meal prep recipes, healthier sweets, and easy weeknight dinners made in the Instant Pot. A Healthy Take on the Classic Shepherd's Pie Recipe.