Recipe: Appetizing Brown stewed chicken
Brown stewed chicken. This deeply flavorful Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken recipe starts with chicken intensely marinated in aromatic spices then braised in savory liquids resulting in the most comforting stew you can imagine. Brown Stew Chicken – incredibly rich in flavor Jamaican classic stewed chicken that's primarily sweet and spicy. So easy to make and it comes together quickly.
Brown Stewed chicken is a popular dish in the Caribbean. They are many ways to prepare it. My recipe for brown stewed chicken, is quite simple. You can cook Brown stewed chicken using 15 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Brown stewed chicken
- Prepare 10 of chicken drumsticks (you can use breast or thighs if you don't like drum sticks).
- You need 2 of scallions chopped.
- It’s 1 of tomato chopped.
- You need 2 tbsp of red onion chopped.
- Prepare 4 tbsp of olive oil.
- It’s 2 clove of garlic chopped.
- It’s 2 tsp of black pepper.
- It’s 1/2 tbsp of dried thyme.
- Prepare 2 tsp of paprika.
- It’s 1 tsp of onion powder.
- Prepare 1 tsp of salt.
- You need 1/2 tsp of chilli pepper flakes.
- It’s 4 cup of water.
- You need 1 tbsp of ketchup.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of brown sugar.
I use ingredients that are easy to find at the. *Tried and True* Easy, delicous Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken made with homemade browning sauce and fresh herbs and vegetables! I'm Jamaican and this is the way my Mama made brown stew chicken. It's traditionally served with rice and peas, sliced tomatoes / avocado and fried ripe plantain. If you cut the chicken into very small.
Brown stewed chicken instructions
- Take off all the skin off the chicken and wash good.
- Put your chicken in a large bowl and add 1 tablespoon of the oil + the scallions + tomato's + red onion + garlic + black pepper + thyme + paprika + and onion powder and massage it in the chicken and let sit for at least a half hour.
- In a large deep frying pan add the 3 tablespoons of oil and let heat.
- Once oil is heated grab one peace of chicken at a time using a fork and scrape off the onions and tomato back into the bowl and add the chicken to frying pan.
- Once chicken is all in pan sprinkle the chilli pepper flakes over the chicken and fry until the chicken is nicely browned.
- While the chicken is browning add the water to the bowl that your chicken was marinating in and add the salt and stir trying to get all the seasons off the side of bowl in the water.
- Once the chicken is browned well enough add the water mixture in the pan and bring to boil on high heat.
- As it starts to boil turn heat to medium heat and cover (stir occasionally).
- Once the water starts to evaporate and thicken up uncover and add the ketchup and brown sugar and continue cooking till your water turns into a gravy…serve over rice !.
Tasty chicken stew dish, Caribbean style, soaked in rich and thick gravy. Once browning is complete remove chicken from the pot, along with half of the remaining oil in the pot/pan. Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken, a spicy dish with chicken legs, simmered in a pot with light coconut milk, scallions, onions, tomatoes, garlic, thyme and one very hot scotch bonnet pepper. When anyone talks of brown stew chicken, I immediately start to think of my dad's version. No carrots, potatoes or peas; just chicken and gravy.