Recipe: Perfect Chicken Afritada
Chicken Afritada. Made with a whole chicken, tomatoes, and potatoes, chicken afritada is a traditional savory stew from the Philippines that's great over rice. Chicken Afritada or afritadang manok is a type of Filipino chicken stew with tomato based sauced. It is a simple dish that can be cooked on regular days.
Then I would transfer the browned chicken pieces in the crockpot. Chicken afritada is a tomato-based dish best serve during different celebrations or even just on your family dinner night. It is best served with rice and be eaten during major meals. You can have Chicken Afritada using 14 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Chicken Afritada
- Prepare 1 of /2 kilo chicken (I used chicken breast fillets quartered).
- You need 4 cloves of garlic minced.
- Prepare 1 of medium sized onion diced.
- Prepare 2 of green bell peppers diced.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of green peas.
- Prepare 2 cups of tomato sauce.
- It’s 1 cup of water.
- It’s 2 of potatoes or sweet potatoes cubed.
- Prepare 1 of carrot cubed.
- You need 1 of dried bay leaf.
- Prepare 1 of chicken bouillon cube.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of brown sugar or to taste.
- It’s of Cooking oil.
- Prepare to taste of Salt and pepper.
The different colors, flavors and textures in this dish definitely makes it a mouth-watering one. The Chicken Afritada recipe is a Traditional Filipino dish made by sauteing garlic, onions, fresh chickens, carrots, and potatoes together with tomato sauce, green peas, and bell pepper. It can either be sweet, salty or both depending on what suits your taste buds as well as the other people you're cooking it for. If many people will share your Chicken Afritada, you can cut the chicken into smaller pieces and perhaps add more potato and carrot.
Chicken Afritada step by step
- Heat oil in pan and add garlic and onions. Cook garlic until light golden brown and onions translucent. Add bay leaf. Cook potatoes for about 5 minutes or until soft but not mushy. Set aside..
- Using the same pan/pot cook chicken in left over oil for 10-15 minutes or both sides are browned (I like cooking my chicken in oil to give it a crispy outside, you may skip this and just boil chicken in water until cooked)..
- Add carrots, peas, green bell peppers the cooked garlic, onions & bay leaf previously set aside. Pour water to deglaze pan add chicken buillon cube and simmer for another five minutes..
- Pour tomato sauce and let it simmer on low heat for another 10 minutes. Season with sugar, salt, and pepper. Remove from heat and serve with steamed white rice..
I use store bought chicken broth for this recipe. You may use regular chicken stock or chicken cube. Chicken Afritada is a Filipino dish cooked in a tomato sauce-based broth. Hefty quartered potatoes and slices of bell peppers are added to the rich stew, thickened with bread crumbs. Sometimes, I cook this dish a day ahead which gives the tomato sauce flavors time to blend and taste even sweeter.