Recipe: Delicious Roasted butternut squash with feta and pearl barley #salad
Roasted butternut squash with feta and pearl barley #salad. Ingredients of Roasted butternut squash with feta and pearl barley #salad. Pearl Barley Risotto with Butternut Squash and Feta I love a risotto and so this recipe was really born out of wanting to cook more risotto, but needing to mix it up. Barley is a wonderful alternative to ordinary arborio rice or short-grain brown rice.
This recipe, as simple as it is, really maximizes the flavor with the herbs, the richness of the cheese and the slightly sweet flavor of the squash. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the drained barley, and toss to combine. You can cook Roasted butternut squash with feta and pearl barley #salad using 18 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Roasted butternut squash with feta and pearl barley #salad
- Prepare 800 g of butternut squash, peeled and cut into 2cm chunks.
- It’s 2 tsp of rosemary, finely chopped.
- It’s 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of caster sugar.
- It’s 170 g of pearl barley or oat grains.
- Prepare 2 of courgettes, sliced lengthways.
- It’s 100 g of feta or goats cheese, cut into 2cm cubes or crumbled.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of pinenuts, toasted.
- You need 1 tbsp of pumpkin seeds, toasted.
- Prepare of Large handful fresh mint, chopped.
- Prepare 700 ml of vegetable stock.
- Prepare of Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- It’s of For the dressing:.
- You need 4 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar.
- Prepare of Juice of 1 lemon.
- It’s 1 tbsp of honey.
- Prepare 1 tbs of soy sauce.
Let the barley dry in the pot for a minute, then add the wine. Simmer until the wine is absorbed, then add enough of the stock just to cover the barley. Add the kale and butternut squash, and stir to combine. Find out how to use this versatile grain with BBC Good Food's highest-rated pearl barley recipes, including risottos, salads, soups and stews..
Roasted butternut squash with feta and pearl barley #salad instructions
- In a bowl, combine the butternut squash with the olive oil, rosemary and caster sugar and season with the salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 25 minutes or until soft. Remove from the oven and allow to cool..
- I cooked the pearl barley in the pressure cooker but it can also be cooked on the hob and simmered in the vegetable stock for an hour until the pearl barley has softened but slightly firm to the bite..
- Brush the courgette slices with olive oil and fry gently in a hot griddle. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper..
- Lightly fry the pine nuts and pumpkin seeds in a pan ensuring not to burn the seeds..
- Chop the mint and add all the ingredients in a bowl and mix together..
- Mix together the salad dressing and taste it to ensure you have a perfectly balanced dressing. Add more honey, lemon juice or soy sauce if required. Pour over the salad and season to taste with more freshly ground black pepper if needed. Serve warm..
Slice the squash in half and using a spoon remove the seeds from the squash and discard. Peel and dice the onion and set aside. Preheat a skillet and melt butter and olive oil together. Butternut squash is an excellent source of vitamin A and beta-carotene as well as vitamin C. Adding the olive oil will result in a higher absorption of the fat soluble nutrients such as vitamin A.