Recipe: Appetizing Chicken Marengo
Chicken Marengo. The Chicken Marengo is recipe that was created for Napoleon on the battlefield after the victory of the In this French cooking video tutorial I am recreating the chicken marengo recipe the way it was. The Marengo chicken was created for Napoleon after the battle of Marengo. Saute chicken with cognac, garlic, tomatoes,croutons and fried eggs.
Chicken marengo is a historic dish that's inspired by the flavors of Italy and France. It was supposedly made by Napoleon's chef and served to the emperor after a battle. Chicken Marengo is a simple dish featuring a white wine suace, mushrooms, tomatoes and cognac. You can cook Chicken Marengo using 17 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Chicken Marengo
- Prepare 500 g of chicken breast (skin off diced) / 17½ oz ..
- Prepare 225 g of onion (chopped fine) / 8 oz ..
- You need 300 g of mushrooms sliced / 10 oz . cans.
- It’s 4 tablespoons of pasata.
- You need 1 tablespoon of garlic powder.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of parsley dried.
- You need 1 of bay leaf.
- It’s 2 teaspoons of garlic powder.
- It’s ½ teaspoon of black pepper ground.
- Prepare of “ Spray2Cook ” (a word used to describe any low-cal. non-stick cook’s oil spray).
- Prepare 75 g of carrot / 2½ oz ..
- Prepare 150 g of onion / 5 oz ..
- It’s 75 g of celery chopped / 2½ oz ..
- You need 1 teaspoon of parsley dried.
- Prepare ½ teaspoon of thyme dried.
- Prepare 4 of eggs large.
- Prepare 25 g of bread WholeGrain (4 slices each weighing) / 1 oz . (small).
One version of the story has his chef, Dunand, creating chicken Marengo from the only ingredients. Try a chicken casserole with a difference and whip up this version with mushrooms, olives, tomato and parsley, from BBC Good Food. Chicken Marengo is a classic French dish named after Chicken Marengo – the famous French dish invented by Napoleon's battlefield chef to celebrate. (Chicken Marengo, Poulet à la Marengo). Often regarded as a French dish, chicken Marengo is believed to have been created in honor of Napoleon's victory at the battle of Marengo, Italy in June.
Chicken Marengo step by step
- Pre-heat an oven (180oC / 350oF / Gas Mark 4). Microwave the onion for 3 minutes. Spray a wide lidded casserole with Spray2Cook and fry the chicken until browned. Add the microwaved onion, the liquor from the can of mushrooms, the pasata and herbs. Mix well and just bring to boil and then put the oven for 15 minutes..
- Mix the ingredients for the sofritto adding a little water. Microwave for 4 minutes. Stir in a little more water then microwave for a further 4 minutes. Stir in still more water then microwave for another 4 minutes. Put the sofritto into a hand blender beaker and add sufficient boiling water to cover and permit blending. Blend thoroughly, remove the casserole and stir the blended vegetables through the contents. Add the mushrooms and put back in oven for a further 15 minutes..
- Near the end of the cooking time:-.
- Poach the eggs (see below); and.
- Toast the WholeGrain bread allowing time to cool – cut into thin “soldiers”..
- Remove the bay leaf. Serve in shallow dishes with pasta, gnocchi or rice (and if you choose the toast on the side) and then add the eggs on top.
The chicken was served with local steamed crayfish and fried eggs as garnish. You can also substitute chicken breasts or chicken parts, skinned or unskinned. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, to taste, and lightly dredge in flour. In a large saute pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat and add. This saucy one-pot dish is a tasty combination of chicken braised in tomatoes.