How to Make Perfect Spring Cabbage and Bacon Pasta
Spring Cabbage and Bacon Pasta. Sweet spring cabbage is surprisingly nice with pasta (regular cabbage is delicious as well!) This recipe combines cabbage with bacon for a light and simple, yet flavorful sauce. The pasta is cooked right along with the cabbage and bacon which infuses it with extra flavor and brings out the natural. Embrace the taste of natural umami flavours with this bacon and spring cabbage pasta recipe, which is seasoned with shio (salt) koji.
The garlic and bacon mingle well together, and the cabbage gives it a satisfying texture. This is a great meal to. Cabbage and noodles, cooked with bacon, is comfort food supreme, great for a chilly day. You can cook Spring Cabbage and Bacon Pasta using 10 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Spring Cabbage and Bacon Pasta
- Prepare 2 servings of short pasta (120-150g).
- It’s 1/4 head of spring cabbage.
- It’s 1/4 of Leek or onion, optional.
- It’s 2 slices of Bacon.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Salt.
- You need 2-3 sprigs of fresh thyme (1/2 tsp dry).
- It’s 400 ml of water (1 2/3 cups).
- Prepare of Olive oil, as needed.
- It’s To taste of Pepper.
- It’s of Parsley for garnish.
Cabbage is a staple vegetable in Slovenia; here it is wilted in bacon fat and spiced with cayenne before being tossed with homemade noodle dough for this traditional pasta dish. Reserve some of the pasta water before you drain the pasta. And since you use just one skillet and one pot. On a bed of pasta, it is perfectly complimented by crispy bacon and tender cabbage.
Spring Cabbage and Bacon Pasta step by step
- Slice bacon into 1cm pieces. Thinly slice onions or leeks, and roughly chop cabbage into bite-size pieces..
- Heat about 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a heavy pot or sauce pan. Add bacon and onions/leeks until bacon begins to curl..
- Add 400 ml (1 2/3 US cups) to the pot and bring to a simmer..
- Add salt, pasta, cabbage and thyme. It might look like too much cabbage, but don't worry, it'll shrink as it cooks!.
- Cover with lid and simmer on low for the time on the pasta package. Covering with the lid is important as it brings out the sweetness of the cabbage and helps flavor the pasta just right ;).
- When pasta is cooked, serve onto plates and sprinkle with pepper, along with extra salt if needed. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil to taste and enjoy! As you can see in the picture, you can make this with spaghetti too ;).
Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the pack instructions. Smoky bacon and cabbage are a classic Eastern European combination, but tossing them with pasta and a bit of cream takes them in a heartier direction. Meanwhile, heat a large nonstick braising pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Leave it to the recipe developers at Southern Living Magazine to put out a fantastic cookbook now and then. Their latest, Quick-Fix Dinners, is all about putting your weeknight mind to rest.