Recipe: Appetizing Southern style grilled ham
Southern style grilled ham. Check out this delicious recipe for Southwest Grilled Ham Steaks from Weber—the world's number one authority in grilling. Recipe from Weber's Big Book of Grilling™ by Jamie Purviance and Sandra S. A long, slow cook time enhances the flavor of this Southern favorite.
Grilled Ham Steaks with Southern Kale Salad is a light modern take on this deep south favorite. Then grilled them for a couple minutes per side. Next I toasted crumbled cornbread and roughly chopped almonds to provide contrast for the kale. You can have Southern style grilled ham using 13 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Southern style grilled ham
- You need 1 of Raw uncured ham.
- It’s 1 of For the brine.
- Prepare 1 gallon of water.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of salt.
- You need 1 cup of brown sugar.
- Prepare 1 dash of Fresh ground black pepper.
- You need 1/2 cup of molasses.
- You need 1 of For the glaze/dipping sauce.
- It’s 1 cup of maple syrup.
- Prepare 1 cup of Brown sugar.
- Prepare 1 cup of Apple or orange juice.
- It’s 2 tbsp of Cinnamon.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of Brown mustard.
My recipe for Southern-Style White Beans and Ham has layers and layers of delicate flavors starting with cooking the dried white Northern beans in If you have ever lived anywhere remotely near the South, you have probably had some version of Southern-Style White Beans and Ham at one time or. Southern Style Collard Greens ~ Slow cooked collard greens with a ham hock, onions, vinegar and hot sauce. Baking your ham on the grill will give you more room in the kitchen, especially over the holidays when your kitchen is full of people and food. Slow cooked collard greens with a ham hock, onions, vinegar and hot sauce.
Southern style grilled ham instructions
- Prepare brine and score skin in an X pattern about 1\2 inch deep let ham soak in brine for at least 12 hours minimum up to 48 hrs.
- Use bakers twine to keep ham from losing it's shape..
- Prepare your grill (I use a big green egg) for indirect heat at 300 to 350. You should use fruit wood for best results..
- Let ham sit at room temperature for about a half hour for even cooking..
- Place on grill fatty side up and have a drip pan underneath..
- After 1st hour turn and baste every half hour with drippings..
- Cook 1/2 hour per pound or until internal temperature reaches 160 in thickest part of meat without touching the bone..
- Apply glaze when desired temperature is reached and let it cook for 20 more minutes..
- Take ham off and reglaze cover with foil and let it rest for 1/2 to 1 hour before carving (This is important).
- For the glaze.
- While ham is cooking combine all of the ingredients for glaze in a sauce pot and stir over med. to med. high heat until it reaches a slow boil. (Do not let sauce get too hot as it will burn the sugar) you want a slow boil for 2 to 3 minutes sauce will start to thicken and when cooled will coat a spoon..
- Do not modify this recipe it is over 110 years old!.
So you can imagine my shock when I first encountered Southern-style collard greens. I was one of the only white employees of a black-owned weekly newspaper in Madison, WI. Deep South recipes: Food is an equaliser in America's south – inclusive and universal. Our resident recalls 'potluck' church picnics that were open to all Photograph: Elena Heatherwick/The Guardian. Pickled ham, grilled peaches and nasturtium salad.