How to Make Delicious Vanilla Lemon Raspberry Layer Cake with Whipped Cream Buttercream Frosting
Vanilla Lemon Raspberry Layer Cake with Whipped Cream Buttercream Frosting. In between each layer of cake is mascarpone whipped cream and a lemon curd. It's the perfect balance are sweetness with the tart raspberries and lemons. A light and fluffy lemon raspberry cake with a lemon cake, raspberry cake filling, and a vanilla buttercream.
Add more sugar for a stiffer frosting, and more lemon juice if it's too stiff. Frost the cake when completely cool. For the frosting and filling: Beat the butter, cream cheese, lemon zest and juice and vanilla together in a large bowl with an electric mixer until very smooth. You can cook Vanilla Lemon Raspberry Layer Cake with Whipped Cream Buttercream Frosting using 21 ingredients and 27 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Vanilla Lemon Raspberry Layer Cake with Whipped Cream Buttercream Frosting
- It’s of for lemon vanilla cake.
- It’s 2 1/4 cups of cake flour.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of baking powder.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- You need 1 1/4 cup of buttermilk, at room temperature.
- Prepare 4 of large egg whites, at room temperature.
- It’s 1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar.
- You need 2 teaspoons of fresh grated lemon zest.
- It’s 4 ounces (1/2 cup) of or 1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of lemon extract.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Prepare of for filling and whipped crem butter cream filling and frosting.
- It’s 3/4 cup of raspberry preserves.
- You need 1 1/2 cups of sweetened shredded coconut.
- It’s 1 cup of room temperature salted butter.
- It’s 4 cups of confectioner's sugar.
- You need 3 tablespoon of milk or cream.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of lemon extract.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of grated fresh lemon zest.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Prepare 2 cups of cold heavy whipping cream.
Including the vanilla buttercream you separated before adding raspberry jam, you should have three colours in front of you. Using a small offset palette knife or a piping bag, place the frosting all over the cake, creating three ombre stripes. Top with the third cake layer. Fill the center with half the strawberry puree.
Vanilla Lemon Raspberry Layer Cake with Whipped Cream Buttercream Frosting instructions
- Make lemon cake.
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray 4 – 8 inch cake pans with bakers spray.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl, set a side.
- In another bowl whisk together the buttermilk and egg whites and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine sugar, lemon zest, both extracts and butter and beat until light and fluffy,.
- Add the flour alternating with the milk/egg white mixture in 3 additions being sure to airate well.
- Divide batter between cake pans.
- Bake for 15 to 25 minutes depending on your oven. The cakes should spring back when touched lightly and a toothpick will come out just clean. Cool in pans on rack 10 minutes then remove to cool completely.
- Make whipped lemon buttercream frosting.
- In a large bowl beat butter and sugar slowly until mixed, add milk or cream and vanilla and beat until creamy, adding more milk if dry.
- In another large bowl whip cream until it forms firm peaks.
- Slowly in 3 or 4 additions fold whipped cream into buttercream until its light and fluffy.
- Assemble cake.
- Place one cake layer on serving plater, bottom up.
- Add a thin layer of raspberry preserves.
- Add a layer of the frosting. The easiest way to cover the preserves is to pipe the frosting with in a circle on top of preserves. It doe not need to be pretty, its just an easy way not to disrupt the preserves.
- Top with second cake layer, bottom up, and add a thin layer of preserves.
- Top the preserves with more frosting.
- Add third layer and add remaining preserves in a thin layer.
- Top with more frosting.
- Add last cake layer, still bottom up and frost entire cake with frosting. To make it easier to frost the entire cake its best to refrigeraye it until fillimg firms up, at least an hour, otherwise the cake is slippery because of the jam and will be very hard to frost keeping it steady. Once its chilled and firm its very easy to frost.
- Sprinkle the coconut on the top and sides. Placing your hand right next to the side of the cake and pouring it between your hand and the cake to get it to adhere.
- Chill cake at least 2 hours before slicing. Store covered in refrigerator but be sure to bring slices to room temperature before serving for best flavor.
Repeat with the layer of strawberry cake, frosting, and strawberry puree, followed by topping with a layer of vanilla cake. Spread a thin layer of whipped cream frosting along the sides of the cake. Slowly beat in the powdered sugar,lemon extract, lemon zest, and clear jel. Frost cooled cupcakes and refrigerate for one hour. I am making these lemon cupcakes with my own vanilla buttercream icing for a birthday this week.