Recipe: Perfect Apple Compote (Simmered in Red Wine)
Apple Compote (Simmered in Red Wine). Potato Rosti with Apple Compote & Carmelized Red Wine Onion by Head Chef Birgitte Antonsen, Café Ambrosia, Seattle, WA. Discard bay leaf and serve apple compote over bratwurst. Freshly picked apples covered in cinnamon, butter and brown sugar are the simple ingredients you need to make this Simple Apple Compote!
Apple compote is what the French call applesauce It is utterly simple to make, but freshly made it is several cuts above storebought Serve it warm, for a comforting dessert, topped with a dollop of crème fraiche if you like. Apple compote is what the French call applesauce. This compote is delicious on burgers, but it can also be spread on turkey sandwiches or eaten alongside pork chops or ham steaks. You can cook Apple Compote (Simmered in Red Wine) using 5 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Apple Compote (Simmered in Red Wine)
- Prepare 3 medium of Apples.
- You need 100 grams of Granulated sugar.
- It’s 400 ml of Red wine.
- Prepare 3 slice of Lemon slices (or bottled lemon juice, 1/2 tablespoon).
- It’s 1 dash of Cinnamon powder, optional.
Be the first to review this recipe. Peel apple, add to simmering water on stove. Add prunes, onion and allspice; cook until tender. Apple compote sounds like a bore, I know.
Apple Compote (Simmered in Red Wine) step by step
- Peel and core the apples, and cut into any size you like. I cut them in half here, and scooped out the cores with a spoon..
- Put the apples, sugar, red wine and lemon in a pot and start cooking over high heat..
- Turn the heat down to low when the mixture comes to a boil. Place a small lid on top that sits right on top of the contents of the pot (otoshibuta or drop lid), and simmer while skimming off any scum. Stir occassionally to prevent uneven cooking..
- When the apples are nicely colored, and a toothpick goes through them easily, they are finished cooking. It took 25 minutes with the apples cut like this..
- Optionally, you can sprinkle some cinnamon powder into the simmering liquid and stir it in by swirling the pot around. Then turn off the heat. Remove the lemon, place a lid on the pot, and leave the apples to cool and absorb the flavors..
- Transfer to a storage container after they have cooled down, and chill in the refrigerator..
- If you drain the liquid off the apples, wrap each one in plastic and freeze, it turns into sorbet. It's delicious when defrosted halfway..
Flavorking plums are extra sweet & ideal for making into a fruity compote – perfect with granola & yogurt for breakfast. Remove from the heat, remove the cheesecloth bundle, and allow figs to cool in syrup. Figs in Red Wine with Herbed Goat Cheese. Wine-poached peaches and cherries with a dollop of honeyed Greek yogurt. Serve it as part of brunch buffet or low-fat dessert.