How to Cook Perfect Miso Soup with Shijimi Clams (or Manila Clams )
Miso Soup with Shijimi Clams (or Manila Clams ). Manila clams – Use good quality, fresh clams for this recipe. I also suggest using nothing but clams as the only ingredient in the soup. That means no tofu or wakame seaweed.
This is my Asari Miso Soup, or a deluxe version of plain Miso soup. The addition of clams infuses the traditional serving with a tint of brininess of the clams—an ingredient that perks up the taste immediately. Miso soup with clams is best served right away; however, you can gently reheat it if you're careful not to knock the clams out of their shells. You can cook Miso Soup with Shijimi Clams (or Manila Clams ) using 4 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Miso Soup with Shijimi Clams (or Manila Clams )
- Prepare 1 of pack Shijimi clams (basket or freshwater clams).
- You need 1 of Water (or dashi stock).
- It’s 1 of Sake.
- It’s 1 of as required Miso.
Mineko Takane Moreno, born and raised in Tokyo, received her degree in French literature. Her love of food has inspired a lifelong education in. The briny juice of asari (Manila clams) is the star of this sophisticated miso soup, which is based on one served at Manhattan's EN Japanese Brasserie. Unlike many other kinds of dashi, the version here relies on clams instead of the more commonly used shaved bonito flakes.
Miso Soup with Shijimi Clams (or Manila Clams ) instructions
- Thoroughly de-sand the shijimi clams..
- Put the water, sake, and shijimi clams into a pot to boil..
- Be careful—if the broth comes to a boil, it will really foam up and might cause the pot to overflow, so watch it carefully..
- Since the bubbles (the scum) will keep on surfacing even if you skim them off consistently, turn the heat off once all the clams have opened..
- When all the clams have opened, whisk in the miso to finish..
- You can make miso soup with manila clams the same way..
Miso soup (味噌汁, misoshiru) is a traditional Japanese soup consisting of a dashi stock into which softened miso paste is mixed. In addition, there are many optional ingredients. Shijimi clams have an amino acid that removes liver toxins. Fill a pot with water and drop in a dashi pouch (made of dried fish, bonito and konbu). Miso Soup with Clams is one of those special foods – simple and quiet and humble, but also elegant in its simplicity.